“Oh, you’re just going to stay at home and be a mum?” *Cue bloody annoying / patronising facial expressions …
Actually I haven’t decided you nosey nosey person. Not that it’s any of your sodding business really, but I’m currently looking at some freelance radio options, I’m very busy blogging and making videos and I have a few other little bits up.my.sleeve. Ta very much.
BUT, and here’s the big BUT – even if I WAS considering ‘just’ staying at home and being a mum for the next 5-10 years – would that make me a big fat failure?
AND, and here’s the big AND – staying at home is not the easy option!
Hang on, I feel the need to really shout this from my imaginary rooftop ….
IT’S NOT THE EASY OPTION!
So, with this is mind – here are 10 reasons why working is easier than staying at home with a baby:
1. At work no one is repeatedly sick down you. Not on your shoulder, in your hair, down your boobs. (Except maybe after the Christmas party, and even then you’d have a good solid HR case.)
2. The only toilet privacy issue at work is when someone goes into the cubicle next to you and you worry they can hear you weeing. At home there’s always a small person VERY close to you carrying out your business.
3. At work you get a lunch break. Two key words there. LUNCH and BREAK – meaning you get actual food and an actual break. Damn you.
4. In your place of work you it’s unlikely that there is someone yelling at / starring longingly at / sucking on your boobs on an off all day. Except I’m guessing if you work in the ‘adult’ industry, then I expect it’s fairly commonplace.
5. At work you get to stimulate your mind, feel like you’re contributing to the economy and broaden your horizons. At home with a small person you watch Jeremy Kyle and CBeebies Small Potatoes.
6. After work drinks. Ahhhh the after work drink. A great way to unwind, socialise with colleagues and perhaps further your career options. There’s no such thing as an ‘after work drink’ for a stay-at-home-parent – coz you’re always at work. There is no ‘after’.
7. Having a WHOLE ENTIRE phone conversation without someone crying or pulling your hair. Actually in one of my jobs there was always a girl crying in the office. She didn’t pull my hair though.
8. In an office or place of work it’s fairly easy to convince your boss and co-workers that you’re really really busy when in fact you can’t be arsed. At home this simply isn’t possible. A small person detects such fraud straight away.
9. At work you don’t have to convince someone they need to sleep at least four times in the day. Unless of course you work in a sleep clinic.
10. Work places have cleaners. They clean up after you at the end of your day. And they often have canteens. As a stay-at-home-parent you are the cleaner and the canteen. Even if both are to a substandard service.
Fellow lovely hardworking sick stained stay-at-home-parents … hit SHARE if you’ve liked this! Mwah x