So I guess this post is just really for fellow vloggers and the few of you who watch our vlogs!
Firstly – if that’s you – THANK YOU SO SO MUCH.
So after 7 weekly episodes, Jay and I had a big chat and decided that weekly vlogging just isn’t for us. Here are our main reasons;
- Time – Jay works at Heart radio. They pay our bills and that’s where he is 6 days a week. On top of that Jay works all hours at home running his own production business and another little venture he’s been working very hard on. I blog on and off and do a few other bits. We vlog for the brilliant Channel Mum. We found when we threw a weekly vlog into the mix as well – time that should have been spent as a family, making memories with Noah was spent editing them instead. Why can’t I edit I hear some of you ask? I could …. Many moons ago I was actually trained to video edit in various news jobs. I could do a clunky job, but Jay, being the professional would never forgive me. It would break us. You think I’m kidding?!
- We are boring – Seriously, our lives are D U L L. There’s only so much I can video me at home with Noah, playing with the spatula again. And Jay walking the dog. The more showbiz bits, like Jay live on air and interviewing slebs – we aren’t allowed to film.
- We are too long in the tooth – We’ve come to realise that youtube is predominantly a ‘young-er’ persons game. We don’t really feel like we fit! That’s not to say there isn’t a gap in the market for vloggers who aren’t 22. Absolutely there is. Perhaps it’s just not us.
- We don’t do the sort of content people want to see – ‘What’s in my changing bag’, and shopping hauls, just ain’t us. I only ever shop in Zara, and Jay still wears clothes from 1999. But it’s those videos that seem to get the big hits. Along with funny dogs/cats/babies/parrots etc. Our dog just lays down all day, dammit.
- When we do vlog we want to make it GREAT – we are still absolutely going to vlog, just not weekly. Hopefully this means when we do turn something out it will be worth seeing, and not D U L L spatula play again.
So that’s it – just felt like putting pen to paper about it!
I’m hoping that 2016 will be full of new work opportunities for me. I am desperately missing working in a live broadcasting environment, so I want to focus more on that. But it’s a TOUGH old game, and being out of it having a baby for a few months can make you feel like you’ve been tossed on the scrap heap. But still – fingers crossed.
Hats off to you vloggers who manage it week in, week out, showing us your lovely lives and families. And as for daily vlogs – wow I SALUTE you people!
Maybe one day we’ll fit it all in and find our niche – just not right now.
Happy vlogging comrades – see you on the ‘tube (when we actually manage to show up!)
(but you know if you DID fancy stopping by our channel – click here!)